|Time:||40 - 45 minutes|
A pork recipe loosely based on kerala cooking.
- 500 grams pork, diced
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 of a medium sized onion, finely sliced
- 3 green chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ginger (or ginger paste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic pr garlic paste
- 1 pork stock cube
- 3 tablespoons ready-to-mix potato mash
- 4 teaspoons meat masala powder
- Brown the meat in two spoons of coconut oil, add 2 spoons of meat masala powder and fry for a minute.
- Add a spoon of vinegar and fry for a minute more. Add a cup of water and cook till the meat is about half done.
- Sauté the sliced onions with 2 table spoon coconut oil in a wok or a suitable vessel along with the chopped chillies in medium flame.
- Add the ginger and garlic after about 4 minutes. Keep stir frying for about 3 more minutes.
- Add 2 tea spoons of meat masala powder and mix it with the rest until the onions are translucent.
- Add the beef stock cube and 1/4 glass of water, keeping on low flame for around 4 minutes. Keep adding a bit of water as necessary to make sure that the paste mix does not stick to the bottom of the vessel/wok.
- Add the half-cooked meat and mix well. Keep on medium flame till the meat is cooked thoroughly.
- Add 1/4 of a cup of water and the potato flakes/powder and mixture. You can vary the amount of the water/potato mix to desired thickness of the dish.
- Remove from fire and hold for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Notes, tips and variations
- Keep adding water as necessary to prevent the mix from sticking to the bottom of the pan. The longer the onions are sautéed in oil in medium flame, the softer they become and the tastier they will be.
- If you can not get the mashed potato mix, thoroughly boil potatoes in water and use a spoon or a ladle to mash them.
- If you are using beef stock, there is no need to add more salt. Otherwise add salt to your taste. Beef stock may contain Mono Sodium Glutamate and hence would not be suitable for everyone.
- The chillies used in the above preparation are mild green chillies about the length of around 5 inches.
- The onions used should be the size of a tennis ball.
- You can also microwave the pork on full power (850W) for about 15 minutes, stirring at regular intervals of 5 minutes instead of cooking it.