Pisces Indian Eggplant
Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan.
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 small Eggplant (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 tablespoons soy marg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
In a small bowl combine spices and in a measuring cup stir together water, Sugar, and vinegar. Cut Eggplant into 2-inch pieces. In a large heavy non-stick skillet heat soy marg over moderate heat until foam subsides and cook spices, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add Eggplant and salt and toss to coat with spice mixture. Stir vinegar mixture and add to Eggplant mixture. Simmer mixture, covered, without stirring, 10 minutes, or until Eggplant is just tender. Uncover skillet and cook Eggplant mixture at a rapid simmer, without stirring, until liquid is almost evaporated and Eggplant is slightly charred (but not burned) on bottom, about 15 minutes.
Remove skillet from heat and let Eggplant stand, covered, 5 minutes.
Serve Eggplant sprinkled with fresh coriander.