Pickled Daikon Sushi
Makes 12 pieces
- 1 sheet nori
- daikon, peeled and sliced into two 7 inch (175 mm) long thin strips
- 1⅓ cup cooked sushi rice
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Namida® wasabi paste to taste for the sushi plus additional as an accompaniment if desired
- soy sauce as an accompaniment
- pickled ginger as an accompaniment if desired
- Sprinkle daikon strips lightly with salt.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Rinse daikon with cold water and pat dry.
- Cut nori sheet in half.
- Place half sheet of nori, shiny side down, on bamboo mat or plastic sheet.
- Spread ⅔ cup of cooked sushi rice evenly on nori sheet.
- Place sesame seeds in a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook, shaking pan until seeds lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Spread a thin film of wasabi paste down centre of rice, sprinkle with browned sesame seeds, top with a strip of daikon, and roll sushi into a cylinder.
- Press bamboo mat or plastic sheet around rolled sushi to seal the edges.
- Repeat steps 3 to 10 to make a second roll.
- Place sushi on a cutting board, slice each roll into 6 pieces.
- Serve with wasabi paste, soy sauce, and pickled ginger.