Serve with one of the following or combination of all: Jamaican water crackers, fried green plantains, yellow or white yam, flour dumplings and boiled bananas
- Soak or boil saltfish to remove most of the salt, drain.
- Cut up the onions, tomato and Scotch bonnet (optional) and saute in a small bit of oil in a saucepan.
- Remove and place in a dish.
- "Pick up" (break in to small portions and remove any bones) saltfish and fry in the same saucepan with light oil.
- Add seasonings (onions, tomato, Scotch bonnet pepper) with ketchup and cook for 2–3 minutes.