Peanut Tofu Salad
- 1 (16 ounce) block tofu
- 3/4 pound bean sprouts
- 1 medium-size cucumber, peeled, if desired
- 2/3 cup shredded carrot
- 3 green onions, including tops, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon shoyu
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
Cut tofu block crosswise into 1-inch thick slices. Drain in colander for 15 minutes, then place between paper towels and gently press out excess water. Place tofu on a rack set in a shallow rimmed baking pan and brush all surfaces with oil. Bake at 350 °F for 20 minutes.
When cool, cut tofu into 1/4 x 1/4 x 1-inch strips and gently mix into dressing; cover and chill for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
Cut cucumber in half lengthwise (remove seeds if large), slice thinly; cover and chill.
Serves 4 to 6.