- Trim away excess fat and place oxtail in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes to blanch.
- Drain well on absorbent paper and coat with cornflour.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet and brown oxtail on both sides removing when brown.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Dice bacon and fry for a few minutes.
- Return oxtail to pot with bacon, add carrots, onion, garlic, tomatoes and hot water.
- Cover and simmer gently for 3½ to 4 hours or until oxtail is almost tender.
- At this stage add more liquid if necessary and season.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add the butter beans and allow to simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.