Out of this World Beans and Rice
From my Aunt Maggie’s collection. Dated 1922. Is it my imagination or does this recipe seem incomplete? I include ALL recipes as written.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- ½ package dried red kidney beans
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup whole grain rice
- 1 ounce salt pork
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- tabasco sauce, to taste
- Place beans in Dutch oven and cover with water.
- Add beef stock.
- Cover and simmer all day.
- Add water if necessary as beans will swell and may need liquid.
- An hour before mealtime, prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, fry salt pork in skillet and discard.
- Sauté Onion and garlic in drippings.
- Add Onion, garlic, and some of the pan drippings to beans.
- Mound rice in bowls and ladle beans over rice and serve.
- Season to taste with a dash or two of Tabasco sauce.