- 6 ounces butter
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces port
- 2 ounces balsamic vinegar
- 2 quarts/2.2 liters dark chicken stock
- 4 ounces/112 g slab bacon, cut into 1/2" x 1 cm cubes
- 1 bouquet garni
- salt & pepper
- 16 baguette croutons (slice and toast in oven with olive oil)
- 12 ounces/340 g grated Gruyère cheese (or swiss cheese)
Melt butter on medium heat, to brown. Include onions, to brown ~20 min. Turn up heat to medium high and include port and vinegar and stir. Combine chicken stock, bacon and bouquet garni, to boil. Add salt & pepper, simmer for ~50 minutes. Skim top. Discard the bouquet garni from the broth. Ladle soup into individual pots/bowls suited for the oven. Place 2 croutons in each bowl then completely cover with cheese. Put in broiler or preheated 425 degree F oven until melted dark golden cheese covers the bowls.
- Test Kitchen Favorites. Taste of Home. 2004. pp. 64. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/French-Onion-Soup-4.
- Bourdain, Anthony (2004). anthony bourdain's LES HALLES COOKBOOK Strategies, Recipes and Techniques of Classic Bistro Cooking with José De Meirelles & Philippe Lajaunie. Bloomsbury, New York and London. pp. 45-46. ISBN 158234180X (hc).