Norwegian Nut Bread
From "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group"
- Original recipe
- Makes 2 small loaves, about 6 slices each.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup almonds, filberts and sunflower seeds (chopped)
- ¼ cup non-fat dry milk powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, unsifted
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp walnut oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Coat empty 16-oz cans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, nuts, dry milk, whole-wheat flour, raisins and orange zest.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, and walnut oil; add to flour mixture and blend well.
- Spoon batter into cans and bake 50 minutes or until golden.
- Loosen bread from cans with small spatula and cool on rack.
- cal: 151 | cho: 24g | car: 23g | pro: 5g | sod: 254mg | fat: 5g
- Food exchanges: 1½ starch/bread + ½ fat
- "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends