Japanese beef and potato stew. Ofukuro no aji — Mom's cooking: This is a typical Japanese dish served at dinner. The main ingredients are russet potatoes, onions, and beef. The flavoring is based on soy sauce and sugar, very common for a Japanese dish. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 1 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 4 to 5 pieces each
- ⅓ lb beef, thinly sliced
- ⅔ lb yellow onions, sliced (about ⅓ inch wide)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 400 cc water (about 1½ cups)
- 3 tablespoons or more soy sauce (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons or more brown sugar (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons sake or white wine
- Prepare vegetables as described above.
- Heat a deep pan and add oil and beef.
- Saute for a couple of minutes, then add onion and potato.
- Continue sauteing for 3 minutes.
- Add water, soy sauce, brown sugar, and sake or wine.
- Bring to a simmer half covered.
- Skim off any foam and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes until potatoes are done.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group