Nigerian Spicy Oysters
In the mangroves of West Africa, oysters are abundant and are the basis for a number of recipes from this region. Serves: 6 - entree. Heat scale: 2 out of a possible 10 (hottest).
- 6 dozen oysters
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 5 ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Shuck the oysters (or buy already shucked) and place them in a deep dish.
- Cover them with the lemon juice and powder lightly with the ginger and cayenne.
- Place the tomatoes in a blender and puree them into a paste.
- Heat the oil, add the tomato paste and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until it has the consistency of catsup.
- Add the onion, salt and pepper.
- Place the oysters in the sauce and simmer over a low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.