Nigerian Groundnut Stew
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, brown chicken pieces in hot oil about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Set aside, reserving drippings.
- Add beef, onion, and green pepper to the drippings.
- Cook until beef is brown and onion is tender.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, salt and red pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes more.
- Add the chicken pieces, and simmer 20 minutes more.
- In a small saucepan, melt peanut butter over low heat.
- Stir into the chicken mixture. Return mixture to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes more.
- Skim off fat.
- Serve with mashed sweet potatoes or hot cooked rice.
- May be served with condiments such as sliced fresh bananas, fried slices of banana, chopped fresh orange or grapefruit, grated coconut and toasted grated coconut, chopped raw onions, fried onions, chopped green pepper, chopped tomato, chopped pineapple, chopped peanuts, chopped , Nigerian dried flakes.
- Sprinkle any or all of the above on top of the stew.