|Time:||2 -2½ hours|
This party food, or just anytime snack recipe was given me by my friend Marvin in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.
- 2 boxes Rice Chex
- 1 box Wheat Chex
- ⅔ box Cheerios
- 1 bag thin pretzels
- 1 pound peanuts
- 1 pound pecans
- 1 can cashews
- salt to taste
- 3 sticks margarine
- Heaping ½ cup bacon grease
- 1¾ to 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons plus dash Worcestershire sauce
- Heaping ½ teaspoon Accent
- 2 heaping tablespoons peanut butter
- Melt and mix the sauce ingredients.
- Mix all dry ingredients, but salt, in a large canning pot.
- Sprinkle a little of the sauce mixture over dry ingredients and shake.
- Repeat until sauce is gone.
- Salt the mixture by sprinkling and shaking in the same way.
- Bake 1½ to 2 hours at 200°F in covered canning pot.
- Remove frequently to shake.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- Put the sauce in a canning jar, and punch several holes in the lid. Sprinkle by turning the jar upside down.
- It took up to seven times of sprinkling and shaking to salt the mixture.
- It is possible to substitute some vegetable oil for the bacon grease, but the result is less authentic.