New England Clam Chowder
This recipe taken from www.portuguese-recipes.com
- 2 cans of clams
- 2 bottles of clam juice
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 large or 3 small potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- ¼ teaspoon of basil
- 1 tablespoon of parsley
- ½ teaspoon of celery salt
- ½ teaspoon of onion salt (if you cannot find this onion powder will be ok)
- ¼ cup of butter
- ½ cup of flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of half and half
- Sauté onion and celery in a pan with the pat of butter.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Put the butter and flour in a separate pan.
- Melt the butter and flour together until it is thick.
- You are making a rue here.
- Add the cup of milk, the half and half.
- Mix all ingredients together in this pan and cook for 20 minutes.