New Brunswick Barley Soup
Contributed by Stephen Ceideburg
- Makes 8 servings
- 2½ lbs to 3 pounds chicken or turkey parts
- 2 quart water
- ½ cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ lbs mushrooms, sliced (2½ cups)
- 10 oz frozen peas
- 2 tbsp snipped fresh parsley
- Combine chicken, water, barley, onion, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, paprika and bay leaf in large kettle or dutch oven.
- Bring boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender, about minutes.
- Remove chicken from broth.
- Cool chicken; remove meat from bones and dice.
- Add carrots, celery and mushrooms to broth.
- Cover; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return diced chicken to soup mixture with peas and parsley; cook until heated through.
Per serving :
- 206 calories (43% from protein, 35% from carbohydrate, 22% from fat) | 18g carbohydrate | 5g fat | 57mg cholesterol | 410mg sodium.
- Exchanges: ½ vegetable | 1 bread | 2½ meat