Native American Hopi Blue Corn Mush "Savory Way"
If this is to be eaten as a savory, sprinkle a little red chili or paprika on top just before serving. This is cooked like cornmeal mush, molded in a bread pan, and then sliced and fried. It is delicious with a clear corn flavor and odd purple-blue color. It's good with eggs and bacon, or with butter.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan, add salt to taste, and whisk in the cornmeal.
- Lower the heat and stir the cornmeal for 10 minutes or until it tastes done.
- The coarser the meal, the longer it will take.
- Pour the cooked cereal onto a cookie sheet or into a bread pan and set it aside to cool for an hour or so or until firm.
- Once it has cooled, slice it into pieces for frying.
- Fry the slices in butter or oil in a nonstick pan until lightly crisped on both sides.