Nanaimo Bars are a layered chocolate and custard desert named after the mining town, Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada. This winning recipe was submitted by Joyce Hardcastle in 1986 when the City of Nanaimo and Harbour Park Mall had a contest to find the best Nanaimo Bar recipe.
Variations of this recipe include using different nuts and/or adding flavours to the custard layer.
- ½ Cup unsalted butter (European style cultured)
- ¼ Cup sugar
- 5 Tbsp. cocoa
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 ¼ Cups Graham wafer crumbs
- ½ Cups finely chopped almonds
- 1 Cup coconut
- Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler.
- Add egg and stir to cook and thicken.
- Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts.
- Press firmly into an ungreased 8" x 8" pan.
- Cream butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar together well. Beat until light.
- Spread over bottom layer.
- Melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Cool.
- Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator.
Once set, cut into squares and serve. Enjoy.
- World Recipes Y-Group World Recipes Y-Group
- City of Nanaimo http://www.nanaimo.ca/EN/main/visitors/NanaimoBars.html