Mulligan Stew with Rice
Makes 6 servings
- 1½ pounds beef cube steaks, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 x 14½- to 16-ounce can peeled whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 x 8-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 x 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 3 cups hot cooked rice (cooked in beef broth)
- Cook beef and onion in oil in large skillet about 5 minutes, or until meat is brown.
- Stir in celery, salt, pepper and broth.
- Cook 5 to 10 minutes longer or until meat is tender.
- Add tomatoes, corn and mushrooms.
- Mix cornstarch with water; stir into stew.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until thoroughly heated and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over hot rice.