- This recipe is for 8 servings
- Dice 3 of the onions.
- Heat a large frying pan and add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the diced onions.
- Saute until quite brown and set aside.
- In a 4-quart covered pot place the Lentils and water.
- Bring to a boil, covered, then turn down to a simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked Onion to the Lentils, along with the rice and salt.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes until rice and Lentils are soft.
- If a bit of water remains unabsorbed remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes and it will soak in.
- Slice the remaining Onion into rings.
- Heat the frying pan again and saute the rings in the remaining olive oil.
- To serve, top the Lentils with the sauteed Onion rings.
- Accompany with plain yogurt and a lemony green salad with tomato wedges on the side.