- Ethnicity - Bengali, East Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, saute the mung beans until a nice golden color. Now add 3 cups of water, the turmeric and the bay leaf. Bring the contents to a boil and simmer partially covered until the beans are soft. Feel free to add more water if needed.
- Now throw in the chopped spinach and red chili powder, cook for another 10 minutes.
- In a small frying pan, heat the ghee. When hot add the panch phoran and cook over a medium low flame until seeds splatter.
- Now add the dried whole red chilies. Cook until they are a nice brown but not burnt. Quickly pour this tempered oil over the daal.
- Take some of the daal in a small pudding bowl and mix the amchoor powder into it. Make sure to dissolve the powder in the daal before you add it back into the saucepan.
- Add the garam masala and stir. Heat for another few minutes. Serve hot with rice, bread and vegetables of your choice.