Mrs. Truman's Meatloaf
This is one of Bess Truman's favorite recipes. Mrs. Truman had a well-equipped kitchen and often prepared breakfast or lunch for her family. The Trumans also employed several African American women who cooked for the family.
Mrs. Truman's Recipes from the Harry S. Truman National Historic Site webpage, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: 1½ to 2 hours
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (or oatmeal)
- ¾ cup of milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- ½ teaspoon kitchen bouquet
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together ingredients.
- Bake at 350 °F for 1½ to 2 hours.