Mozzarella Meat Loaf
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp leaf basil, crumbled
- ½ tsp leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1½ lbs lean ground beef
- ½ lbs ground pork
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- 2 egg whites
- 4 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese cut in ¼-inch cubes
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- ¾ tsp salt, optional
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup catsup
- Preheat oven to moderate (375°F).
- Line jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil.
- Saute onion in oil in large skillet over medium heat 3 minutes.
- Add red pepper, garlic, basil, and thyme, saute 5 minutes.
- Combine beef, pork, oats, egg, whites, mozzarella, Parmesan, parsley, optional salt, and pepper in large bowl.
- Add vegetable mixture.
- Shape into large oval on prepared pan.
- Bake in moderate oven (375°F) for 30 minutes.
- Brush loaf with catsup.
- Bake 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Let stand 10 minute before slicing.
I would bake this meat loaf in a loaf pan due to possible grease escaping from the jelly roll pan. I would also spoon off some of the fat from the loaf after 30 minutes.