Moroccan Lentil Soup
This is a great soup for vegetarians. Moroccan Lentil soup is healthy, nutritious and so easy to make. This recipe serves about 6.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 400 g garbanzo beans
- 400 g cannellini beans
- 400 g diced tomatoes
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1½ teaspoons ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Put the onions, garlic, and ginger in a large pot with a little olive oil and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add the water, lentils, chickpeas, white kidney beans, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, garam masala, cardamom, cayenne pepper and cumin to the mixture and put it on a high heat.
- Bring the mixture to the boil for about ten minutes then simmer for one hour or longer. It should be taken off the heat when the lentils are soft.
- Put half of the soup in a blender until smooth and then stir it back into the other half in the pot.