Moroccan Chicken with Dates and Apples
Submitted by The Jizzer
I was waiting in the doctor's office and they actually had a decent magazine that featured an article about the healing powers of spices or some bullshit. All I remember is that it featured this recipe for Moroccan Chicken, it looked fucking delicious, and I didn't have a pen. So I did the next best thing:
Took a picture of it on my mobile phone.
Thank goodness I have a near-photographic memory or this wonderful dish would have been lost forever. This is my first picture cooking post so go easy on me.
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped into small cubes*
- 1/2 cup whole dates, pitted and sliced*
- I had a bunch of dates handy so I used 1 cup dates and 1 apple (unpeeled!)
1) Combine 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon with the cumin, tumeric, chili powder, and salt in a large plastic bag. Add chicken. Toss to coat. Allow to marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably closer to 24.
2) Heat up olive oil in skillet on medium heat. Add chicken.
3) While the chicken cooks, cube the apple(s) and dates. I happened to have fresh, ripe Deglet Noor dates handy, which aren't the sweetest. Most likely you'll have easier access to dried medjool dates which have more flavor.
4) You may also wish to start on some sort of side dish. I had some potatoes handy.
5) When the chicken is done and cooked through, like so, remove and set on a serving plate.
6) Saute the apples and dates in the same skillet for about one minute.
7) Remember the teaspoon of cinnamon you haven't used yet? Add it now. Toss to coat.
8) Pour fruit mixture on top of chicken.
9) Serve with appropriate beverage.
Also obligatory pictures of hungry domestic animals: