Moong Dal Usli
- Ethnicity - Konkani, South Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan. Toss in the mustard seeds and the dry red chilli bits.
- Fry till the mustard seeds splutter fully. Add the ginger, green chilli(es) and stir fry on medium / low level for about 2 minute(s).
- Drop in the asafoetida powder and the curry leaves. Fry briefly.
- Stir in the green gram and mix well. Add the hot water such that it is about and inch above the level of the green gram. Stir in the Sugar and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes or till the water has been absorbed and the grams are cooked but the grains are separate. If they are not cooked, then add some more hot water and cook.
- Stir in the grated coconut and remove from the flame. keep covered for 5 minutes for the flavors to blend well.
- Split husked green gram is yellow in color.
- Chillies can be increased or decreased as per taste.
- Traditionally the grams are cooked soft and mushy.
- Serve hot with: buttered slices of bread