Moldavian 8 Shapes
In Romanian: Mucenici moldovenesti
- 2 lbs / 1 kg flour
- 3/4 oz / 20 g yeast
- ½ qt / ½ l water (or half water, half milk)
- a little salt
- egg wash from 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ lb / 250 g ground walnuts
- Make a dough from the flour, yeast and water (or water/milk combination).
- The dough should be rather soft.
- When the dough has risen, make 8 shapes.
- Place in a baking sheet dusted with flour and let the shapes rise again.
- Then spread the egg wash on the shapes.
- Bake at medium temperature until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare a syrup from the 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water.
- When the 8 shapes are cool, dip them briefly, one by one, in hot water.
- Drain well.
- Place them on a platter, pour the syrup on top and sprinkle ground walnuts on them.