Mini Meatball Soup
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan in a slow stream
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef, pork and veal combined
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup grated parmigiano-reggiano or romano, a couple of handfuls
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs, a couple of handfuls
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cups dried pasta, rings, broken fettuccine or ditalini
- 1 pound triple washed fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- In a deep pot over medium heat add oil, chopped carrots, celery and onions and bay leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover pot and cook veggies 5 or 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the veggies cook, combine meat, egg, garlic, grated cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, nutmeg.
- Uncover your soup pot and add broth and water to the pot.
- Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil.
- When soup boils, reduce heat a bit and start to roll meat mixture into small balls, dropping them straight into the pot.
- You are making meat dumplings that will cook in the broth.
- When you are done rolling the meat, add pasta to the soup and stir.
- Cover and simmer soup 10 minutes.
- When pasta is tender, stir in chopped spinach in batches.
- When spinach has wilted into the soup, the soup is done and ready to serve.
- Adjust your seasonings.
- Serve soup with crusty bread or Grilled 4-cheese Sandwiches.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group