Merengue Layered Cake
In Romanian: Tort bezea
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 7 oz / 200 g walnuts
- 8 oz / 250 g butter
- 3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or ¼ cup rum
- Place the egg whites, sugar and vanilla in a heat resistant bowl.
- And place this bowl into a larger one, full of boiling water and set on heat.
- Beat the whites until thick. Bake 3 sheets out of this mixture.
- The procedure is as follows: cut 3 equal rounds of white paper, the size of a round layer cake.
- Grease each paper round with oil and place it on the inverted bottom of a baking pan.
- Place a uniform layer of egg whites (⅓ of the mixture) on the greased circle and bake at very low heat.
- When done, place the rounds face down on the work surface, moisten the paper with water and pull it off.
- Fill these rounds with cream.
- To get the cream, caramelize a cup of granulated sugar; when it starts to turn yellow, add the slightly roasted walnuts and let them roast a little with the Sugar, mixing continuously.
- After the mixture turns a deeper gold, remove from heat and turn onto an oil greased plate to cool.
- In the meantime, beat the butter with 3 tablespoons of confectioner's sugar and vanilla or rum, adding the finely crushed walnuts.
- Put 1 tablespoon of crushed walnuts aside for garnish.
- Spread this cream over the sheets, place one on top of the other and cover with the same cream.
- Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon of crushed walnuts.