Mennonite Chicken Dumpling Casserole
This is an AWESOME recipe - strong basil flavor! Hope you enjoy this as much as we do! A traditional comfort food - great on those cool winter days and nights! ENJOY! From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- Serves 6
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, basil, pepper and broth; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute; reduce heat.
- Add peas and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in chicken.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Combine biscuit mix and basil (2 tbsp) in a bowl.
- Stir in milk with a fork until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoon onto casserole (12 dumplings).
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until dumplings are done.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group