White fruit cake
- Makes 1
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup dried apricots — chopped
- 1 cup dried figs — chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup candied lemon peel — chopped
- ½ cup candied citron — chopped
- 2 cups shredded coconut meat
- ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons rum
- 2 cups blanched almonds — chopped
- Soften the butter, gradually add the Sugar, creaming well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift the 1½ cups of flour, baking powder and salt and add to the above mixture alternately with the ½ cup of wine. Beat well.
- Combine all of the fruits and nuts and dredge the ½ cup of flour.
- With the rum add the fruits and nuts to the batter, blending well.
- Line 2 loaf pans (9×5×3) or 2 tube pans with brown paper.
- Pour the batter into the pans, filling about ⅔ full.
- Decorate with candied fruits or nuts if you wish.
- Bake about 2½ hours in a slow oven, 275°F.
- (Placing the baking pans in shallow pans ¼ filled with water prevents the cakes from scorching on the bottom while they bake.)
- Cool in pans on racks 20 to 30 minutes. Turn out.
- Remove brown paper. Return to racks and cool before storing.