Luscious Four-layer Pumpkin Cake
Celebrate and enjoy a serving of this indulgent cake on a special occasion.
- Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at World Recipes Y-Group
- Original recipe at Kraft Kitchens
- Total Time: 1 hr 42 minutes
- Makes: 16 servings, one slice each
- 1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin, divided
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ tsp pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 pkg. (8 oz) Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tub (8 oz) Cool Whip whipped topping, thawed
- ¼ cup caramel topping
- ¼ cup chopped Planter's pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Beat cake mix, 1 cup of the pumpkin, the milk, oil, eggs and 1 tsp.
- Of the pumpkin pie spice in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 28 to 30 minutes.
- Or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese in small bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- Add sugar, remaining pumpkin and remaining ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice;mix well.
- Stir in the whipped topping.
- Cut each cake layer horizontally in half with serrated knife.
- Stack layers on serving plate,spreading the cream cheese filling between layers (do not frost top of cake).
- Drizzle cake with caramel topping just before serving; sprinkle with the pecans.
- Store leftover cake in refrigerator.
How to slice and stack cake layers
- Place one of the cooled cake layers on a serving plate.
- Make a 2-inch horizontal cut around side of cake using a long serrated knife.
- Then,cut all of the way through the cake layer to make two layers.
- Remove the top layer by sliding it onto a 9-inch round cardboard circle.
- Frost the cake layer on the serving plate with one-third of the whipped topping mixture, then slide the top half of the split cake layer from the cardboard circle onto the frosted layer on plate.
- Place the remaining unsplit cake layer on a cutting board.
- Cut into two layers as done for the first layer.
- Repeat the process of transferring the cake layers to the stacked cake layers on plate using the cardboard circle.
- Calories 360 | Total Fat 19g | Saturated Fat 8g | Cholesterol 70mg | Sodium 310mg | Carbohydrate 44g | Dietary Fiber 1g | Sugars 31g | Protein 5g | Vitamin A 90% dv | Vitamin C 2% dv | Calcium 8% dv | Iron 6% dv