Low-cholesterol Marinara Sauce
- 1 lbs top round steak, ground
- 2 cup canned plum tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp fresh oregano
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 3 tsp fresh basil
- pinch sugar
- 2 tsp olive oil (optional)
- Put about ½ inch of water in frying pan.
- Add beef and saute until it loses its pink color, add tomatoes and juice, onion, garlic and tomato paste, stir well, simmer 5 minutes.
- Add oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, sugar and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, until thickened slightly or to degree of thickness desired.
- Add olive oil if desired for flavor, but it is not necessary.