|Category:||Salad Dressing recipes|
|Servings:||6 (1/4 cup each)|
Louis Dressing is a salad dressing commonly used with seafood salads, such as Crab Louis and Shrimp Louis. It can also be used as a dip or sandwich spread, or many other uses. The dressing is creamy, yet has a little spicy kick.
- 1 cup (235 mL) mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cup mild salsa, the salsa must have green chili peppers
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ketchup
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (7 mL) worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce (e.g., Tabasco, Crystal), to taste
Makes 1 1/2 cups of dressing.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, and process till smooth. The goal is to have a pink smooth sauce with little green flecks.
- Pour the sauce into a bowl and chill covered in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to use.
Notes, tips and variations
- This is not the "traditional" recipe, but it is the easiest for untrained cooks to succeed at. For the traditional recipe, replace the salsa and ketchup with 1/2 cup chile sauce (or store bought chile sauce), and three tablespoons each of finely minced green onion and green chili peppers. Instead of using the blender, whisk the ingredients in a bowl.
- Keep refrigerated
- It is recommended that the dressing be used within 24 hours.
- This recipe uses mayonnaise. See the module mayonnaise for possible health risks.