Kovoqli Varaki Somsa
- 650 g or 4¾ cups flour
- 400 g (14 – 15 oz) pumpkin
- 2 egg
- 160 g (3 – 4 oz) onions
- 150 g (5 oz) mutton fat
- 70 g (2½ oz) margarine
- sugar, salt and pepper to taste
- For the filling, combine diced pumpkin with chopped onions, fat, salt, sugar and spices.
- To make dough, add warm water, egg and salt to sifted flour, let stand for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Roll out dough into 3 – 4 mm (⅛ in) layer and grease surface with melted margarine.
- Roll up the dough tightly forming a log, and cool 5 – 6 hours.
- Cut log into 50 g (2 oz) pieces and place on their flat sides.
- Roll out into small flat rounds.
- Place a spoonful of filling in the center, pinch edges around the pumpkin forming a square pastry.