Kotmis Satsivi I
- 3 lb chicken
- 1 tsp black pepper fresh ground
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup walnuts, shelled, pulverized
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp saffron
- 1 ea bay leaf
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon ground
- ⅛ tsp cayenne flakes or Tabasco
- 1 tbsp parsley freshly chopped fine
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 ea garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp onions chopped
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1½ cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar or cider
- ¼ tsp cloves powdered
- Dry chicken inside and out.
- Melt the butter and oil together then brush chicken with this mixture until completely coated.
- Preheat oven to 475 °F.
- Place chicken on its side on a rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Roast in oven for 10 minutes then turn onto its other side after brushing again with the butter-oil mixture and roast for another 10 minutes.
- Turn bird onto its back, reduce oven temperature to 400 °F, baste with the butter-oil mix, and roast for another 40 minutes.
- Baste at least once with the butter-oil mixture during this time period.
- While the chicken is roasting you must make the walnut sauce.
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy skillet over high heat, add the onions and garlic, lower heat to to medium, and cook while stirring for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and mix into a paste.
- Stir in the chicken stock,m bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in the vinegar, cloves, salt, pepper, bay leaf, saffron, parsley, and walnuts paste.
- Lower heat to low and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Quarter the chicken and pour the sauce over the quarters.
- Serve at once.