- Cut meat into 3/4' cubes.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan, add Onion and fry gently until transparent. Increase heat, add garlic and meat cubes and fry, stirring often, until juices evaporate and meat begins to brown.
- Add water, salt and pepper to taste, chili pepper, and cumin. Bring to a slow simmer and reduce heat. Cover pan and simmer gently for 1-1 1/2 hours until meat is tender. Time depends on cut of meat used.
- Add spinach and coriander and cook for further 10–15 minutes.
- Mound chalau on a platter and spoon some of the sauce on top. Serve remainder in a separate bowl. Note1: 1/4 c. yellow split Peas (daul nakhud) can be substituted for the spinach. This dish is then called Korma and the split Peas are added at step 3.