Jersey breakfast dog
|Jersey breakfast dog|
Jersey breakfast dog. There is a tradition in New Jersey of serving hot dogs that have been deep-fried in hot oil until they rip apart ("rippers") or just blister lightly (an "in and outer"). The Jersey dog is usually served atop fried or scrambled eggs.
- Preheat deep fryer to 355°F.
- Wrap bacon around the hot dog, securing at each end with a toothpick.
- When oil reaches 355°F, lower wrapped hot dog into fryer.
- Heat frying pan and fry one egg.
- Place cooked egg on a small plate.
- Open bun and place onto frying pan on low heat or in toaster oven to lightly toast.
- When bacon is firm and crispy, remove hot dog from oil.
- Place slice of cheese onto egg and microwave for 7-10 seconds.
- Place egg and cheese onto bun.
- Remove toothpicks from hot dog, and add to bun.
- Add condiments and serve.
The Jersey breakfast dog is listed as number two of the "60 Things Worth Shortening Your Life For" by Esquire Magazine.