- 1 lb jerky, beef or buffalo
- 1 cup whole dried hominy, soaked overnight in ample water
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled/chopped
- 1 lb potatoes , unpeeled/diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Break the jerky up into 1-inch pieces and place in a heavy, lidded kettle.
- Drain the hominy and add to the jerky, along with the Onion.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, covered, until the hominy is tender, about 2 hours.
- Add the potatoes and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Note that Native Americans would have used prairie potatoes - arrowhead.