Italian Meatball Soup
Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2sam and Tiny at Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Yield: 8 servings (about 2 cups each)
- 1½ pounds ground turkey meat
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning, divided
- olive oil cooking spray
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups green beans, diagonally cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti, uncooked, broken into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix ground turkey meat, egg whites, bread crumbs, 2 cloves of garlic, and 2 tablespoons of italian seasoning until well blended.
- Shape mixture into 32 meatballs.
- Spray large saucepan with cooking spray.
- Heat over medium heat until hot.
- Cook meatballs until browned on all sides (5 to 7 minutes).
- Add chicken broth, water, green beans, carrots, onions, remaining 2 cloves of garlic, and remaining 1 tablespoon of italian seasoning to saucepan.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered until vegetables are almost tender (about 8 minutes).
- Heat soup to boiling.
- Add pasta and tomatoes.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until pasta is al dente (about 10 minutes).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Calories: 270 | Protein: 19 g | Sodium: 174 Mg | Cholesterol: 31.7 Mg | Fat: 8.7 g | Carbohydrates: 30.2 g
- Exchanges: 1½ bread | 2 Meat | ½ Fat