Italian Chicken with Colorful Rice
Makes 6 servings.
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 to 2½ pounds frying chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1½ cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, or 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup chopped fresh spinach
- Mix flour, salt, basil, oregano, thyme and pepper in plastic bag.
- Add chicken one piece at a time, shaking to coat.
- Heat oil and butter in large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken and cook, turning, about 20 minutes, or until brown on all sides.
- Add mushrooms and cook over medium heat 3 minutes.
- Combine broth and wine; add to skillet. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and keep warm. Pour off fat, leaving brown particles and mushrooms; return 1 tablespoon to skillet.
- Stir rice into drippings.
- Add tomatoes and spinach to rice mixture; toss lightly until thoroughly heated, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer rice to serving platter; arrange chicken on top.