Italian Chicken Soup
This satisfying soup gets its Italian flair from fennel, thyme, basil and orzo pasta. If you don't start with a low-sodium or sodium-free stock, advises our Test Kitchen stay, you might want to decrease the amount of salt called for in the recipe.
- From "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group"
- Source: Light & Tasty
- Prep 10 minutes | cook 40 minutes | total 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- ½ cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel fronds
- In a dutch oven or soup kettle, saute fennel bulb and onion in oil until fennel is softened.
- Add the next seven ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduced heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and orzo.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Stir in fennel fronds.
Per serving (1½ cups):
- 282 calories | 5g fat (1g saturated fat) | 55 mg cholesterol | 769 mg sodium | 33g carbohydrate | 5g fiber | 26g protein.
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2½ very lean meat | 1½ starch | 1 vegetable
- "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends