Italian-style Béchamel Sauce
Although widely recognized by its French name, béchamel, this sauce has been known in Italy as besciamella (or balsamella or bechimella) for centuries. The sauce functions as a binding element in many pasta and vegetable dishes. it is also used as a topping in baked dishes, most notably lasagna and cannelloni, to prevent them from drying out. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- Source: Authentic Italian Cooking
- Melt butter in a heavy medium pan over medium low heat.
- Add sifted flour and whisk for 1½ minutes.
- Do not allow to brown.
- Gradually add milk, whisking constantly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until sauce is the consistency of thick cream, about 15 minutes.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group