Indian-style Green Tomatoes and Vegetables
- Source: Cooking Light, JUNE 2001
- Formatted by Chupa Babi in MC: 07.07.01
- Yield 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 cup chopped baking potato
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup chopped green tomato
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the mustard seeds; cook for 1 minute.
- Add potato and next 7 ingredients (potato through red pepper), stirring until blended.
- Add water; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender.
- Uncover and cook 4 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring frequently.
- Serve over rice.
ChupaNote: Warmed 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes in the oil before adding other spices. Added: 1 large sweet onion minced, a handful of frozen peas rinsed in hot water (NOT defrosted) when you add the other veggies, add one red bell pepper when you take cover off pot (leaves the pepper crispy. Next time, I'll add a handful of cashews or pistachios.
Per serving of ½ cup vegetables and ½ cup rice:
- calories 195 (19% from fat) | fat 4.2g (sat 0.8g, mono 1.3g, poly 1.8g) | protein 4.1g | cholesterol 0.0mg | calcium 34mg | sodium 308mg | fiber 2.4g | iron 2.1mg | carbohydrate 35.8g
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/