- In a 3 quart saucepan, place prunes and 2 cups water; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 30 minutes, or until prunes are very tender.
- Drain prunes, reserving liquid.
- Chop prunes finely.
- Add ¾ cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla; the cardamom, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ½ cup reserved cooking liquid; mix until ingredients are well blended.
- Set aside to cool.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat butter with granulated sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- At low speed, add flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Refrigerate dough until chilled and easy to handle-about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Divide dough into 7 equal pieces.
- For each layer, invert an 8-inch round layer cake pan.
- Flatten a piece of dough with hands; place on pan; pat to fit.
- Then gently roll to make layer even; trim edge if necessary.
- Keep pieces of dough refrigerated until ready to use.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until edge is golden brown.
- Carefully remove to wire rack; let cool.
- Place one layer on serving plate; spread with about ½ cup filling.
- Repeat with 5 more layers and remaining filling.
- Set last layer on top.
- Cover completely with plastic film or foil.
- Refrigerate at least 24 hours, to mellow.
- Sprinkle top with confectioners sugar.
- Cut in thin slices.
- Pass whipped cream.
- Return unused portion to refrigerator.