Iced Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper baking liners or coat with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Sift in cocoa and whisk to blend.
- In 2-cup measure, combine buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine eggs and both sugars.
- Beat with electric mixer at high speed until pale and thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- With rubber spatula, alternately fold in flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, making 3 additions flour mixture and 2 additions buttermilk mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups (cups will be quite full).
- Bake cupcakes until tops spring back when touched lightly, 20 minutes.
- Loosen edges and turn cupcakes onto rack. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make frosting: in medium bowl, combine cocoa, chocolate chips and corn syrup.
- Add ¼ cup boiling water and stir until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Using an electric mixer, gradually beat confectioners’ sugar into cocoa mixture.
- Beat slowly at first then gradually increase speed until frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Spread frosting over tops of cupcakes.
- Let stand until frosting has set, about 30 minutes before storing.