Hungarian Cabbage Rolls I
- 2 quarts water
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 12 large green cabbage leaves, about 1 lb
- 1 cup cooked carrot, cooked
- ¼ cup raw brown rice
- 1 egg, beaten sightly
- 1½ cups tomato juice
- 1 medium onion
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Boil 2 quarts of water in a large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Arrange cabbage leaves loosely in pan.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until cabbage leaves are limp but not soft, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and cool leaves.
- Purée carrot in blender or food processor fitted with steel blade; mix with ground beef, rice, and egg.
- Spoon 2 tablespoon of the meat mixture onto each leaf.
- Tuck ends in and roll up jelly roll style.
- Place seam side down in 9" by 13" baking pan.
- Pour tomato juice tomatoes, onion slices and seasonings over cabbage rolls.
- Cover and bake 1 hour; uncover and cook for an additional 30 minutes.