Huiy Barhi Riha
Maldivian spicy eggplant
- 500 gm aubergine (in south asia this is called brinjal, except in the maldives and minicoy where it is called barhi)
- 1 onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp dalda (hydrogenated vegetable oil) or clarified butter
- 1¼ cm ginger
- 2 curry leaves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 piece cinnamon
- salt to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup tamarind juice
- Cut aubergine length wise into quarters and fry it in oil till the skin turns brown.
- Then fry chopped onion in dalda.
- When it becomes slightly brown add crushed garlic, ginger, cinnamon and chilli powder.
- Fry it till it becomes brown in colour.
- Then add tamarind juice ,salt, sugar, curry leaves, coconut milk and fried aubergine and cook it in slow a fire for a few minutes till the gravy becomes thick.