- Separate eggs; beat whites until they "peak".
- To slightly beaten eggs, add sugar and cooled, melted butter; blend until smooth.
- Add the egg whites, lemon peel, rum and vanilla and blend.
- Add enough flour (about 2 pounds) to make a dough that will roll nicely.
- Roll out the dough to ⅛ inch thickness.
- Cut into ⅝ x 6 inch strips.
- Over quite hot fire, heat the oil until it stops hissing or "speaking".
- Use a pan to give you an oil depth of about 2 to 2½ inches.
- This will allow your hrstule to submerge when you drop it in, and when it rises to the surface, it pretty well indicates readiness to turn.
- Turn and cook both sides a golden brown color.
- Coat with powdered sugar while hot.
- Twist in various shapes or knot your hrstule before dropping into oil.