Hot Cross Bun
|Hot Cross Bun|
This is a popular and tasty dessert traditionally served before Easter.
- 1 cup (240 mL) milk
- 4 teaspoons (20 mL) water
- 1 cakes fresh yeast
- 3 cups (720 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) nutmeg, grated
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter
- 1 cup (240 mL) currants
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- Heat milk and water to lukewarm.
- Crumble yeast. Mix with 1/2 cup (120 mL) flour. Stir in tepid milk/water and mix well.
- Cover and set aside in warm place until yeast is active and frothing, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Mix remaining flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir egg and butter into the yeast mix, add the flour mixture and fruit. Mix well.
- Put dough onto a floured surface and knead. Return to bowl, and let rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead again.
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C).
- Divide dough into twelve pieces and shape into buns. Mark a deep cross on the top of each bun.
- Arrange on a baking tray, cover with tea towel, and let rise for 30 minutes. Cook in preheated 375° F (190° C) oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix together flour, vegetable oil and Golden Syrup.
- Remove buns from tray and glaze.