Hoppin' John with Ham Hocks
Makes 8 servings.
- 1 pound meaty Ham hocks
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspooon crushed red pepper
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups dry blackeyes
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- salt and ground black pepper
- Combine Ham hocks, Onion, salt, red pepper and water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 1-1/4 hours, or until Ham is tender.
- Meanwhile, wash blackeyes. Combine blackeyes and 6 cups water; bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour. Remove Ham hocks from saucepan.
- Add water to liquid left in saucepan to measure 3-1/2 cups, if necessary. Cut meat into small pieces, discarding bone and rind. Drain blackeyes; discard soaking liquid.
- Combine Ham, blackeyes and rice in large saucepan; bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until blackeyes and rice are tender and liquid is absorbed. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.